To tighten the chain on an electric dirt bike, you generally follow steps similar to those you would take for a regular dirt bike. Take a look at the video below to see what’s involved in tightening the chain on an electric dirt bike, or follow our step-by-step instructions below:
- Find the Adjusters: Locate the chain adjusters on your electric dirt bike. These are typically located near the rear wheel axle.
- Secure the Bike: Ensure the bike is stable and won’t move while you’re working on it. You may need a stand or someone to help hold the bike steady.
- Loosen the Axle Nut: Use a wrench or socket to loosen the axle nut on the rear wheel. Be careful not to remove it completely; just loosen it enough to allow adjustment of the chain tension.
- Adjust Chain Tension: Use the adjusters on both sides of the swingarm to tighten or loosen the chain. Turn the adjusters evenly to maintain wheel alignment. Refer to your bike’s manual for the correct chain tension specifications. Usually, you want around 0.5 to 1 inch of play in the chain at its midpoint.
- Check Alignment: While adjusting the chain tension, ensure the rear wheel remains aligned. Misalignment can cause handling issues and premature wear on the chain and sprockets.
- Tighten Axle Nut: Once you’ve achieved the desired chain tension and alignment, tighten the axle nut securely.
- Check Tension Again: After tightening the axle nut, recheck the chain tension to ensure it hasn’t changed. Make any final adjustments if necessary.
- Test Ride: Take the bike for a short test ride to ensure everything feels and sounds right. Listen for any unusual noises or vibrations that could indicate a problem with the chain or wheel alignment.
- Final Check: After the test ride, double-check the chain tension and alignment. Make any additional adjustments if needed.
- Maintenance: Regularly inspect and maintain your chain to ensure proper tension and lubrication. Over time, chains can stretch and wear, so keeping them properly adjusted and lubricated for optimal performance and longevity is essential.
Remember, it’s crucial to consult your electric dirt bike’s manual for specific instructions and recommendations tailored to your model. If you’re unsure about any step or encounter difficulties, it’s always a good idea to seek assistance from a qualified mechanic or technician.
Why not take a look at our other dirt bike guides?
- How to Charge an Electric Dirt Bike Battery
- How to Perform a Safety Check Before Riding an Electric Dirt Bike
- How to Check an Electric Dirt Bike Battery
- What are the Advantages of an Electric Dirt Bike Over a Petrol Dirt Bike?